Sunday, October 9, 2011

Response to Stephen Pope

 His original post: I think that the reading really hit on a very important subject. We spend a lot of time discussing how our students learn, but not why. We don't really look into what creates the thought process as much as we look into engaging methods. We can have the best methods, but if past performance or past failures cloud a students ability then what do we do. The student that refuse to try for fear of failure falls further and further behind. The student who feels that their life outside of school is hopeless has no reason to engage, regardless of how great the lesson is. I know that we can't be responsible for our students psychological issues, but if we can't find a way to help them believe in and feel good about themselves than all of our knowledge and study isn't going to have a very big effect. How do we 'Give Everyone an A' in our classes everyday?



My reply: Amen, amen, amen! I was having this exact conversation with some teachers at my campus last week. Some teachers feel as though students dont matter outside of the 50 minutes they have them each day but so much can influence a student besides those 50 minutes. I understand not every student will love history but I try to come to a common ground with them and let them know that they are significant. No matter what their race, gender, creed, or socioeconomic background they too can make a difference in our society. I think that if I do this with my students then I am giving them an "A" everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment