Saturday, March 12, 2011

PE_2 iMovie

  Within this blog post I will cover the items I learned from chapters 6-10 of Lynda.com's iMovie tutorial. The more and more I watch the more excited I would become at the new knowledge I was acquiring. I learned by double clicking the clip would bring up a box called "inspector" and this would allow you to make adjustments.
 Also you can choose normalizing which will adjust the volume across your whole video to the same level. Sometimes this could be a blessing other times its a curse. Also in the inspector box is a speed dial which by double clicking on clips you can increase or slow them down.  I also learned that a 'Ken Burns' effect is added to all photos used in iMovie by default. This adds zoom & pan movements. If you double click in the upper left hand corner you can customize the effect. Precision editing allows you to precisely edit clips. This tool also allows audio to be manipulated which will allow clips with different audio to have the same sound. And transitions can be made as well. M is the music playback shortcut and you can delete a marker by dragging it out of the editor.


Lastly, I learned that sometimes files need to be stablized in order to have optimal viewing. This can be done by accessing the file-> analyze for stabilization. This will smooth out shaky footage. Now there are 3 colors that may appear after stabilization has occurred. Black, orange, or red. Black means that mild smoothing was required, orange means that moderate smoothing was required, and red means that extreme smoothing had to take place. But there are even some cases where the video could not be stabilized and then a slash would appear. In case you may want to freeze the frame you can press ctrl + click this freezes the frame in your video! But as if this wasnt enough you can even do a picture in picture addition to your film.

This is what I learned! Now I'm ready to put it to use....stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sharol,

    First, I think you have a great background on your blog! It is perfect for this course! I read your summary of what you learned in lynda regarding the iMovie tool. Like you, I am less intimidated by the application, and I almost look forward to making new movies :-). On a more serious note, iMovie is such a powerful tool and I am sure that we will be able to use it for the benefit of our learners.

    ReplyDelete