Sunday, March 13, 2011

BP4_Wikispaces



            Educators today have many issues plaguing them. At our campus this has been the year of the “click”. Click by definition: when 1 copy is made on the copier that equals 1 click. So for instance if a teacher would like to make a double sided worksheet for 155 students, she would use 310 clicks. In August each teacher is given a specific amount of clicks, I received 30,100 for the year. At first glance that sounds like it would be a substancial amount to last the 36 instructional weeks of our calendar year. WRONG! As of Friday, March 11th I am down to 2,500 clicks that must last until June 3rd. So what am I to do? I must find an alternative to paper for my classroom. Some options I have: increase note taking, more pencil paper, and bookwork, or turn to technology. “I’ll take option #3, Alex.”
            How am I going to use technology to replace the norm? Wikispaces.com- this site allows educators or individuals who are going to use it for education to create a sight for free. I would be able to create assignments for students to complete in groups or solo, paperless. Of course the question with anything that is Internet based- security. On wikispaces.com the wikis are ad-free, and I can make them private for extra security for my students. Also they can be created without student email addresses. This will allow me to create assignment posts for posing questions or to assign projects so that students can collaborate better and learn to take responsibility for their own learning. I will save clicks and my sanity!
   So in order for you to get started go to www.wikispaces.com and then scroll until you see this image:

Click on create wiki for K-12 education. You will then be led to a screen to register and create your wiki like this:

After you have registered your wiki you are ready to go. Good luck and just think you've taken a step in the direction of going green!

No comments:

Post a Comment